Monday, March 3, 2014

Living? Dying? Which Should I Choose?

As we have been studying through this section of Philippians 1:21-26, specifically the verse which says, “to live is Christ, and to die is gain,” we see Paul caught in a quandary. Ah the dilemma. Paul feels caught between the rock and the hard place with his desires. “Do I choose to live or die?” he asks himself. Both are compelling. But his desires are in just the opposite order we would assume, because to live on in the flesh is necessary for their sakes, yes, but dying is better. And that’s what he would prefer.

Ah, but it’s not just gain, it’s not just a little better, but it is “far better.” What is? To “be with Christ.” It’s not just a little better, like chocolate is better than vanilla - maybe the better option of two pretty close ones - but far and away better, so there is no comparison. Like, who would compare chocolate to mud as an entrée on your dinner table?

As the N.A.S. translates this, it’s “very much better.” This is the highest superlative. You couldn’t say it any more forcefully in Greek. Why? Because to die would allow him to be with Christ instantly, forever, free of all of earth’s troubles, limitations, pain and suffering. It would all be replaced by uninterrupted peace and joy.

Ah, but the downside. His ministry would be over. He would never lead another person to Christ. He would never be able to disciple another person and teach them the truth. He would never plant another Gentile church. All of that is important. That is the ministry God has called him to do. That is God’s will for his life. So, obligation would cause him to want to stay.

I understand this. How easy it would be to simply drop over dead and have all of my troubles be over. And to be with Christ? No more pain or sorrow or conflict. Oh, but I have a job to do. And my job isn’t finished. I am a husband and a father. I need to provide for my family and lead them. I have children to raise yet, and they need me. And I have a ministry to finish. God has called me to preach and teach and pastor this church. And there is a whole lot more Bible I want to teach to you. When you look at it that way, wanting to die and go to heaven seems a little selfish, doesn’t it? Especially if to me, “to live is Christ?”

What about that? Dying is the easy way out. Living is the tough way if it is living for Christ. But we have a job to do. If we didn’t, the choice would be obvious. Heaven is far better - it is all “gain.” That was Paul’s conclusion.

I have had numerous people in the final stages of death beg me to pray that God would simply take them home. Their job was finished on earth, and only heaven could end their suffering. So it was appropriate for them to desire that. But until then, we have an obligation. We have a job to do. So what should we desire?

The best answer is found in a poem by Horatio Bonar:

Thy way, not mine, O Lord,
However dark it be!
Lead me by Thine own hand,
Choose out the path for me.

Smooth let it be or rough,
It will be still the best;
Winding or straight it leads,
Right onward to Thy rest.

I dare not choose my lot;
I would not, if I might;
Choose thou for me, my God;
So shall I walk aright.
Very simply, we let God make the decision, and we gladly give Him that prerogative. But who wouldn’t want to be there in heaven? Only those who make living all about themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment