Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Elections are Not the Answer

I’ve been asked why it has been so long since I’ve added a post to this blog. The answer is simple: I have been doing a lot of soul searching of late as to what my purpose is with this blog.

It all began when I was reminded that the title of this blog is, Searching the Mind of Christ, and it was originally intended to be a way for me to comment on the things I gleaned from Scripture. Yet, because of my writing op-eds for the Citizen Journal and also posting them here, this blog morphed into a bully pulpit to preach my moral and political views. Even though I fastidiously avoided partisan politics (some might doubt that, but I tried), I did use this blog to comment on morality as it touched politics. Somehow, in the process, the original purpose was lost. I want to get back to that original purpose for this blog.

The truth is, I don’t have a lot of confidence in the political process or in elections anyway. Yes, as good citizens we must be involved. We need to be informed. We need to vote and let our voice be heard. Sure, elections matter, but not as much as we like to think.

I agree wholeheartedly with this quote from Michael Brown, “The fact is that I am a follower of Jesus Christ more than I am a conservative (my strong conservative moral values are the direct result of my faith), and although I have voted for the Republican candidate for many years now. . . . I am convinced that the frenzied state we get into every four years is the result of us placing too much blame on the person we’re voting against and too much expectation in the person we’re voting for.” Then he concludes, “Many of us put far too much stress on the presidential elections and not enough stress on our personal responsibility as citizens and leaders.” He is so right.

So, what is the answer? The answer is Jesus Christ. The answer is spelled out in the Gospel message. We don’t look for the Republican Party to bring salvation to this country, we look for salvation from Jesus who brings revival one heart at a time. And the responsibility to preach revival is up to us Christians, especially us pastors. Therefore, our primary purpose is to lift up Jesus and point people to a life changing relationship with Him. The more we do that, the more we will see this country change. Therefore, we should always aim to put the spotlight on Christ. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t talk to people about social and political issues. Rather, we argue our point, not simply from logical reasons, but from Biblical ones.

So, no, my hope is not in elections, my hope is in the church again acting like the church. Second Chronicles 7:14 really points out this truth. It is a verse that brings me hope. It says, “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” The answer begins with us. It begins as we realize we are both the problem and the solution. The more we exalt Christ, the closer we will come to the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment